February 28, 2011

A bit of voodoo.

I'm currently reading Zora Neale Hurston's "Tell My Horse (VooDoo and Life in Haiti and Jamaica)" and I might be in love. She has an unbelievable penchant for infusing nonfiction writing with an unmistakable narrative voice. This style of writing seems to be the ultimate embodiment of storytelling - a hybrid version of nonfiction steeped in description and style. This is where I would like to go with my poetry and other creative endeavors, a place where documentation plays with reality and construction. Sorry to geek out for the moment, but I am genuinely inspired by what is going on in the book. Not to mention she is talking about divination, ceremony and sacred rituals which I have been enamored with since Selah Saterstrom's Philosophy of Literature class many moons ago. Until I finish the book, I leave you with my favorite passage thus far:
It was like sewing ruffles on fence rails. The will to make life beautiful was strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment